Initially released 2nd June, 2008
Latest update 10th August, 2008
- Win32: MMORPG-1.0.16-Win32.zip
- Mac OSX:MMORPG-1.0.16-OSX.dmg (Universal Binary, requires OSX 10.4 or later)
- Not currently available
Congratulations, you’re the new owner of ShadiSoft Software, the latest software development house to go have gone bust when their exciting new MMORPG failed to catch the public’s attention! With a full staff of programmers, designers and artists to obey your every whim, it’s your job to reverse the company’s fortunes and become the most popular MMORPG on the block!
MMORPG Tycoon is the very first VectorStorm game that’s controlled entirely with the mouse (except for entering the name of your MMORPG world, in the title screen).
As a convenience, as of version 1.0.14, you may use the arrow keys to pan the view (instead of right-click dragging), and use ‘a’ and ‘z’ to zoom in and out (instead of using the mouse wheel).
You may quit the game at any time by pressing ‘Q’ or ‘Esc’.
Game Design, Code & Gfx: Trevor Powell ( trevor (at) vectorstorm.org )
Music: Solar Cycle – Ray of Life
MMORPG Tycoon uses OpenGL, SDL, SDL_Mixer, the Mersenne Twister, and GLEW, and was initially written for entry to the TIGSource Procedural Generation contest.
- 2nd June, 2008: Initial release. (29 days development time)
- 2nd June, 2008: 1.0.1 release. Fixes rare crash caused by certain tools not deactivating themselves properly when you finish using them (Road tool and Inspect tool, in particular).
- 2nd June, 2008: 1.0.2 release. Fixes mouse wheel going unresponsive if you start a game while the title screen’s text edit box is still active.
- 2nd June, 2008: 1.0.3 release. Fixes build pane buttons going sticky; this bug was introduced in version 1.0.1.
- 2nd June, 2008: 1.0.4 release. Fixes graphical bug when deleting a building with a road attached. Revises calculations for player satisfaction and addiction, forum buzz, etc. Fixed “Monster Density” design setting to work as expected (higher values == more monsters). Fixed “Combat Level Range” to not cause a divide-by-zero crash if set to zero.
- 10th June, 2008: 1.0.5 release. Minor graphical tweaks to initial UI screens, Zone level modification buttons now activate the zoning tool when you click on them.
- 11th June, 2008: 1.0.6 release. Fixes crash bug when “autoincrement” functionality is used for adjusting the level set on the zoning tool.
- 13th June, 2008: 1.0.7 release (OS X only). MMORPG Tycoon should now be compatible with OS X 10.4.
- 18th June, 2008: 1.0.8 release. MMORPG Tycoon now supports saving and loading games. Your current game is automatically saved whenever you exit or quit.
- 19th June, 2008: 1.0.9 release (Win32). Fixed saving bug in Win32 build.
- 20th June, 2008: 1.0.10 release. Fixed even yet another saving bug in Win32 build. Fixed interface bugs when drawing a road to a destination which is underneath floating UI elements (such as toolbars, etc). Town, Respawn, and Starting Point placement tools no longer automatically deactivate after being used.
- 23rd June, 2008: 1.0.11 release. Options screen now available to change resolution, disable rotating cursor, etc. Minor UI improvements.
- 23rd June, 2008: 1.0.12 release. Fixed crash when a new user subscribes, if no starting points are placed.
- 28rd June, 2008: 1.0.13 release. Fixed rare crash after a save/load, if an offline subscriber disconnected at his home, without having first picked up a quest at the time of the save.
- 29th June, 2008: 1.0.14 release. Fixed bug in save code which could result in roads being placed incorrectly after a load. Added keyboard keys to pan and zoom the view, primarily for laptop users.
- 26th July, 2008: 1.0.15 release. Fixed bug where subscribers currently online after a load weren’t being added to the tally of “subscribers”. Fixed bug where subscribers didn’t have their full XP reset when they gained a level, if the player had increased the XP required per level above 10. Added Autosave support, and an option to disable it.
- 10th August, 2008: 1.0.16 release. Fixed crash bug on the second run after changing game preferences. (This crash bug was introduced in 1.0.15)